- Year Founded1922
- Types of CoverageComprehensive, collision, liability, uninsured and underinsured
- Available Discounts12
- Purchasing OptionsOnline, phone, agent
- Customer Service1-800-531-USAA (8722)
- Official Websitehttps://www.usaa.com/
- Consistently exceptional customer service: USAA tops J.D. Power rankings for customer satisfaction and AM Best for financial strength year after year.
- Several financial products available: In addition to several types of insurance, USAA also offers banking and investment services.
- Multiple additional military resources: As a military-only provider, USAA offers exclusive resources to its members.
- Military families only: USAA car insurance is only available to active-duty and retired military as well as their family members.
- Membership required: Even if you are military, you must join USAA as a member before purchasing auto insurance.
- High number of complaints: Although USAA rates high in other areas, it struggles with its NAIC rating that reports a high number of consumer complaints.
United States Automobile Association (USAA) is a popular name in the insurance industry and for a good reason. For several years running, USAA has topped customer satisfaction and financial ratings for auto insurance with some of the cheapest rates available. It is also active within the military community, helping active-duty and veteran military families with the unique challenges they face.
Today, it offers several types of insurance for your family in addition to auto insurance, such as homeowners insurance, renters insurance, life insurance, and health insurance. There are also several financial products available, including bank and investment products. With easy online quotes and special resources specific to military life, USAA is an ideal car insurance company for your auto insurance.
Established in 1922 to serve the military community, the United States Automobile Association (USAA) was founded by 25 Army officers to provide each other with car insurance. It continues in that vein today, offering several financial products to several different members of the military community. USAA is headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, where it offers 48.8 million products to over 13 million members.
|Who USAA Serves|
|Type of military||Eligible parties|
|Active-duty||U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, National Guard, and Reserves|
|Former military||Retirees and those separated with an Honorable discharge|
|Cadets and midshipmen||Individuals at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship|
Officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning
|Family||Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance while married|
Individuals whose parents have or had USAA auto or property insurance
USAA auto insurance may be underwritten by a different provider, including USAA Casualty Insurance Company, USAA General Indemnity Company, and Garrison Property and Casualty Insurance Company.